Monday, September 25, 2017

American Bittern

Today on my morning walk I realized that I was part of a community that I appreciated every morning but hand't noticed till that moment.

The same smiling faces and happy nods. I don't yet know their names, but I'm sure in time I will. 

This realization came as another morning walker was taking pictures of the same American Bittern that I had snapped half an hour prior.

She wanted to share the beauty with me; and I showed her the close ups I had previously taken. She is the one who informed me of the bird's name. 

The American Bittern as seen at Beaver Lake near me ;)

This is a migratory bird of the Heron species. It feeds on fish and insects. This bird is thought to be decreasing in population in the south because of infringement upon it's habitat.

We humans, being social creatures rely on these daily interactions for sustenance. The positive interactions we have with the people in our communities give us energy whereas the negative interactions take it away. Thankfully, exercise is a mood booster so everyone I see is mostly happy/positive.

Introverts need not hyperventilate here. A smile or nod serves the same purpose as a hello. Just the brush of energy at it moves past you can be beneficial.

However, without stepping away from the TV, computer, without getting off the sofa and out of our homes we are missing out on something vital.

I say get out and move. Discover the community around you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment